Ravens Place 3rd in Region, 2nd in Conference at Region VI Track Meet
May 6, 2012
The women's track team celebrates after being awarded hardware for their third place region finish at the 2012 Region VI Track and Field Championships held in Hutchinson, Kan.
Photos: 2012 Region VI Track and Field Championships (hosted by SmugMug)
The Coffeyville Red Ravens women's track team placed third in the region and second in the conference standings at the Region VI Track and Field Championships held May 3-5 in Hutchinson. Johnson County won the region title with Butler placing second, Coffeyville third and Barton County fourth. Coffeyville placed second in the Jayhawk East standings behind Johnson County. Cowley was third behind Coffeyville in the Jayhawk East.
Jackie Wallace, Shamela Gray and Ashtin Boykin finished first, second and third in the region and conference standings in the 100 meter hurdles. Wallace won the region and conference titles with a time of 14.57 seconds. Gray finished in 14.77 seconds and Boykin was right behind with a time of 15.33 seconds.
Martisha Hart, Gray and Boykin finished in the top three in the Jayhawk East results in the 400 meter hurdles. Hart, the Jayhawk East champion completed the race in 1:04.74. Gray had a time of 1:08.42 and Boykin was clocked at 1:10.06. Hart, Gray and Boykin were third, fourth and fifth respectively in the region results.
Sade Lewis claimed the Jayhawk East title in 400 meter dash. Lewis completed the race in 57.33 seconds. Lewis was second overall in the region.
The women's 4 x 100 meter relay team of Dap Jones, Jerika Budgett, Jackie Wallace and Sade Lewis claimed the Jayhawk East title with a time of 47.92 seconds. The relay team placed second in the region.
The 4 x 400 meter relay team of Lewis, Linsey Chapa, Gray and Alexis Deason claimed the Jayhawk East title as well, completing the event with a time of 4:01.88. The team placed second overall in the region.
Amanda Lightfoot placed tenth for the Ravens in the 1500 meter run, but her time of 5:16.70 set a new school record in the event. Lightfoot broke her own record set earlier this season.
The Coffeyville Red Raven men's track team placed second in the region That half of the results equation is known. What is not known yet is whether the Ravens will be crowned Jayhawk East Champions. Those conference results are still pending and the reason for that is rather cumbersome; however, the Ravens have better than 50/50 odds that when the conference results are released, they will be the Jayhawk East champions. Stay tuned.
Back to what is known, Coffeyville finished second in Region VI with 121.50 total team points, trailing only region champion Hutchinson with 135 points. Johnson County is third in the region with 119 points and Barton County was fourth with 100.50 points.
Sophomore Tom Kalisky was the region and conference champion in the men's javelin. Kalisky's best throw was measured at 209'-01". Kalisky's throw was just four inches behind former Raven Jon Rizzo for the school record. Kalisky finished second at last year's NJCAA national meet behind Rizzo. Rizzo is now a junior at Wichita State.
Sophomore Justin Victor continued his stellar year by winning winning the region and conference championship in the hammer. Victor's best mark was 189'-07".
Deondra Canaday won the region and Jayhawk East title in the shot put with a throw of 53'-07.00". Teammate Stargell Williams was right behind in second place with a throw of 52'-10.75".
Orlando Ezell won the Jayhawk East title in the long jump with a mark of 24'-04.25". Ezell was third overall in the region. Devin Screen was the Jayhawk East champion in the discus with a best mark of 157'-03". Screen was second overall in the region.
Kadeem Douglas won Jayhawk East honors in the high jump with a mark of 6'-07.50". Douglas was third in the region, but more importantly, his jump qualified him for the national meet in the high jump. Douglas also won the Jayhawk East title in the triple jump with a mark of 47'-05.00". Douglas was fourth overall in the region in the triple jump. Douglas has also qualfied for nationals in three events: long jump, triple jump and high jump.
The 4 x 800 meter relay team of Logan Garrett, Carlton Sheppard, Kelvin Musgrove and Will Taylor was the Jayhawk East Champion finishing with a time of 7:51.28. The team placed third in the region results. The time was a national qualifying time. The team had qualified previously with a composite time, but the region meet time qualifies the team outright.
Logan Garrett is the Jayhawk East champion in the 1500 meter run. Garrett finished with a time of 4:05.36 and placed fifth overall in the region.
Raven Women Placing in Region VI Events (Top Eight)
- Jackie Wallace, 1st in 100 meter hurdles, 14.57 seconds.
- Shamela Gray, 2nd in 100 meter hurdles, 14.77 seconds.
- Sade Lewis, 2nd in 400 meter dash, 57.33 seconds (Jayhawk East Champion)
- 4 x 100 Meter Relay Team of Dap Jones, Jerika Budgett, Jackie Wallace and Sade Lewis, 2nd, 47.92 seconds (Jayhawk East Champion).
- 4 x 400 Meter Relay Team of Sade Lewis, Linsey Chapa, Shamela Gray and Alexis Deason, 2nd, 4:01.88 (Jayhawk East Champion)
- Ashtin Boykin, 3rd in 100 meter hurdles, 15.33 seconds.
- Martisha Hart, 3rd in 400 meter hurdles, 1:04.74 (Jayhawk East Champion)
- Shamela Gray, 4th in 400 meter hurdles, 1:08.42.
- Ayanna Stancle, 4th in discus, 42.10 meters, or 138'-01".
- Ayanna Stancle, 5th in hammer, 45.52 meters, or 149'-04".
- Ashtin Boykin, 5th in 400 meter hurdles, 1:10.06.
- Shakeita Curry, 5th in triple jump, 10.66 meters, or 34'-11.75".
- 4 x 800 Meter Relay Team of Martisha Hart, Carrie Smith, Linsey Chapa and Kylie Bourquin, 5th, 10:15.12.
- Shakeitha Curry, 6th in long jump, 5.11 meters, or 16'-09.25".
- Alexis Deason, 6th in 400 meter dash, 1:01.73.
- Natasha Sack, 7th in 3000 meter steeplechase, 13:33.61.
- Linsey Chapa, 7th in 800 meter run, 2:28.90.
- Mikayla Howden, 8th in hammer, 42.93 meters, or 140'-10".
- Jerika Budgett, 8th in 100 meter dash, 12.30 seconds.
- Carrie Smith, 8th in 5000 meter run, 22:10.09.
- Naya Thompson, tie for 8th in high jump, 1.45 meters, or 4'-09"
- Naya Thompson, tie for 8th in long jump, 5.00 meters, or 16'-05".
Raven Men Placing in Region VI Events (Top Eight)
- Tom Kalisky, 1st in javelin, 63.74 meters, or 209'-01".
- Justin Victor, 1st in hammer, 57.78 meters, or 189'-07".
- Deondra Canaday, 1st in shot put, 16.33 meters, or, 53'-07.00".
- Stargell Williams, 2nd in shot put, 16.12 meters, or 52'-10.75".
- Devin Screen, 2nd in discus, 47.92 meters, or 157'-03" (Jayhawk East Champion).
- Kyle Darnell, 3rd in javelin, 53.60 meters, or 175'-10".
- Orlando Ezell, 3rd in long jump, 7.42 meters, or 24'-04.25" (Jayhawk East Champion)
- Kadeem Douglas, 3rd in high jump, 2.02 meters, or 6'-07.50" (Jayhawk East Champion)
- Tywan Scott, 3rd in 110 meter hurdles, 15.01 seconds.
- 4 x 800 Meter Relay Team of Logan Garrett, Carlton Sheppard, Kelvin Musgrove and Will Taylor, 3rd, 7:51.28 (Jayhawk East Champion).
- Jimmy Robinson, 3rd in 400 meter hurdles, 55.28 seconds.
- Kadeem Douglas, 4th in triple jump, 14.45 meters, or 47'-05.00" (Jayhawk East Champion).
- Deondra Canady, 4th in hammer, 49.46 meters, or 162'-03".
- 4 x 400 Meter Relay Team of Derrick Poage, Carlton Sheppard, Logan Garrett, and Kenny Roach, 4th, 3:23.17.
- Carlton Sheppard, 5th in 400 meter hurdles, 56.22 seconds.
- Stargell Williams, 5th in discus, 46.22 meters, or 151'-08".
- Logan Garrett, 5th in 1500 meter run, 4:05.36 (Jayhawk East Champion)
- Bradford Nelson, tied for 5th in high jump, 1.92 meters, or 6'-03.50".
- Tywan Scott, 6th in long jump, 6.99 meters, or 22'-11.25".
- Devin Garcia, 7th in hammer, 47.10 meters, or 154'-06".
- 4 x 100 meter relay team of Obi Mokobia, Jason Martin, Tywan Scott and Kenny Roach, 7th, 42.76 seconds.
- Waylon Pike, 8th in 3000 meter steeplechase, 10:48.42.
- Will Taylor, 8th in 800 meter run, 1:58.81.
The following CCC athletes have made qualifying marks for the national meet to be held May 15-17 at Levelland, Texas.
Devin Screen, discus and hammer.
Justin Victor, hammer throw and discus.
Devin Garcia, hammer.
Marty Williams, discus.
Tom Kalisky, javelin.
Kadeem Douglas, triple jump, long jump, high jump.
Orlando Ezell, long jump.
Deondra Canaday, shot put and hammer.
Stargell Williams, shot put and discus.
Jordan Haynes, shot put.
Jon Beeler, high jump.
Carlton Sheppard, 400m hurdles.
4 x 800m Relay Team, composite time qualifier.
Martisha Hart, 400m hurdles.
Myesha Quiett, hammer.
Ayanna Stancle, discus and hammer.
Shamela Gray, 100m hurdles.
Jackie Wallace, 100m hurdles.
Ashtin Boykin, 400m hurdles.
Mikayla Howden, hammer.
4 x 100m Relay Team of Daphne Jones, Jerika Budgett, Jackie Wallace and Sade Lewis.
4 x 400m Relay Team of Sade Lewis, Linsey Chapa, Shamela Gray and Alexis Deason.