Sheppard Qualifies for Nationals in 400m Hurdles
April 29, 2012
Carlton Sheppard is a new national qualifier in the 400 meter hurdles. Sheppard won the Southwestern College meet in Winfield, Kansas on Saturday with a time of 54.99 seconds. The national qualifying mark this year is 55.05 seconds.
Kenny Roach was meet champion in both the 100 meter dash and the 200 meter dash. Roach was clocked at 10.83 seconds in the 100 meters and at 21.78 seconds in the 200 meters.
On the women's side, two more school records were broken. Amanda Lightfoot established a new school record in the women's 1,500 meter run. Lightfoot finished the race in 5:17.03, besting the previous school record of 5:18.85 set by Lisa Salinas in 2001.
Natasha Sack set a school record in the 3,000 meter steeplechase. Sack completed the event in a time of 13:20.03. The previous record of 13:25.98 was set by Cassie Grimes in 2002.
The Raven women also had three meet champions at Southwestern. Jackie Wallace won the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 14.65 seconds. The 4 x 100 meter relay team won first with a time of 48.35 seconds and the 4 x 400 relay team also took first with a time of 4:01.68. Wallace and both relay teams had previously qualified for the national meet to be held May 15-17.
So far this season the following CCC athletes have made qualifying marks for the national meet to be held May 15-17 at Lubbock, Texas.
- Devin Screen, discus and hammer.
- Justin Victor, hammer throw and discus.
- Devin Garcia, hammer.
- Marty Williams, discus.
- Tom Kalisky, javelin.
- Kadeem Douglas, triple jump and long jump.
- Orlando Ezell, long jump.
- Deondra Canaday, shot put and hammer.
- Stargell Williams, shot put and discus.
- Jordan Haynes, shot put.
- Jon Beeler, high jump.
- Carlton Sheppard, 400m hurdles.
- 4 x 800m Relay Team, composite time qualifier.
- Martisha Hart, 400m hurdles.
- Myesha Quiett, hammer.
- Ayanna Stancle, discus and hammer.
- Shamela Gray, 100m hurdles.
- Jackie Wallace, 100m hurdles.
- Ashtin Boykin, 400m hurdles.
- Mikayla Howden, hammer.
- 4 x 100m Relay Team of Daphne Jones, Jerika Budgett, Jackie Wallace and Sade Lewis.
- 4 x 400m Relay Team of Sade Lewis, Linsey Chapa, Shamela Gray and Alexis Deason.
The Ravens will compete at the Region VI Track and Field Championships beginning on Thursday and finishing up on Saturday in Hutchinson. The Ravens will be competing for both Jayhawk East championships and Region VI championships. This meet will likely be the final opportunity for athletes to make qualifying marks for the national meet.