Electrical Technology Program Goals
Students who successfully complete this program should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to listen to instructions and work well with others in the workplace.
- Demonstrate safe work methods as related to electrical industry standards and take pride in their workmanship.
- Understand electrical theory for ac and dc circuits and be able to work on and calculate circuit perimeters as related to electrical circuits.
- Understand how to read residential blueprints and install wiring to meet National Electric Code standards and understand that the code is a bare minimum and a safe installation and not efficient in its standards.
- Use the National Electric code book for a reference to safely install electrical systems to meet code for all applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and troubleshoot electrical control circuits for HVAC systems.
- Identify the different control symbols and understand ladder logic.
- Troubleshoot and solve electrical control circuit problems.
- Understand basic electronic circuits and identify components and troubleshoot simple circuits.
- Understand what consists of a commercial installation and be able to run conduit and calculations for box fill, conduit fill and load calculations.
- Understand ladder logic control schematics and diagrams and understand binary, hexadecimal and Booleen logic codes.
- Be able to design simple PLC control systems as well as troubleshoot PLC circuitry.