Medical Laboratory Technology Program Goals
- Students will be able to perform routine laboratory procedures encompassing all major areas of the clinical laboratory including hematology, chemistry, immunology, serology, microbiology, and urinalysis and transfusion service at the career level.
- Students will be able to procure laboratory test samples in and efficient and timely manner.
- Students will be able to recognize unexpected results and instrument malfunctions and take appropriate action.
- Students will be able to correlate laboratory findings to common disease processes.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking and problem- solving skills.
- Students will be able to communicate effectively and understand the need to consult with more experienced team members when necessary and to deliver test information to clinicians in a timely manner.
- Students will comply with safety procedures and ethical standards of practice.
- Students will be accountable and professional when interacting with patients, fellow employees, and other health care providers and the public.
- Students will understand the importance of continuing education and professional awareness.
- Students will be prepared to sit for the Board of Certification exam for Medical Laboratory Technician offered by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
** Granting of the Associate of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Technician is not contingent upon passing any external certification or licensure examination.