Credit for Prior Learning
Coffeyville Community College has established the following policies for the awarding of credit for prior learning.
Advanced Placement (AP) College Credit Policy
Coffeyville Community College will accept Advanced Placement scores for college credit. A student may receive credit for course(s) with an AP score of 3, 4, or 5. No credit will be awarded for scores below a 3. Courses will be assigned a grade of "CR" for credit only and will not be used to calculate a student's grade point average. Student must provide official documentation of AP scores to the Registrar's Office and request the course(s) be placed on the student’s official transcript. Student must complete one semester as a full-time student prior to the AP courses being placed on the transcript.
Students may be required to validate AP scores upon transfer to a four-year institution. Students may also be required to take lower division courses upon transfer to satisfy graduation requirements.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Coffeyville Community College may award a limited number of semester hours of credit based on satisfactory scores through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
Prior Military Training Credit
If a student has received education through military training, a maximum of 10 credit hours may also be awarded in accordance with the American Council on Education Guide Book. The student must first submit a copy of the appropriate military records to the Registrar for evaluation.
Fire Science Prior Learning Credit Policy
The intent of this policy is to provide college credit for courses in the Fire Science Program at Coffeyville Community College (CCC) for eligible fire personnel with prior learning credentials. Eligibility for credit is primarily determined by the Coffeyville Community College Fire Science Program Director and the respective Vice President, who will review the student's record and notify the Registrar's Office of acceptable credit to be awarded.
Students seeking award of college credit through this policy must meet the following criteria:
- The student must have completed approved Fire Science training courses through an IFSTA approved training program (i.e. Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute at the University of Kansas).
- The student must be enrolled in the Fire Science program at Coffeyville Community College to request prior learning credits.
- The courses for which students receive credit will be added to their transcript once the student has completed a minimum of 9 credits at Coffeyville Community College with a minimum 2.0 GPA (C) average or better. Credit for CCC courses will not be awarded without proof of the Fire Service certifications and/or official transcripts from an IFSTA approved training program.
- All earned prior learning credits will receive a grade of “CR” for credit on the CCC transcript.
- Credit obtained through the PLC Policy may not transfer to another college or university.
- Credit cannot be used to repeat classroom credit in which a student has received a grade.
- Credit cannot be used to meet the enrollment requirements for government-funded financial aid programs or to meet resident credit requirements for graduation.
- Students who meet the Fire Science PLC Policy requirements will be eligible for up to 19 college credits.