Student Grievance Procedure, Complaint Policy
In the event that a student has a grievance against a member(s) of the administration, faculty, or staff, the student may seek redress of the grievance through the following procedure:
- The student shall inform the person(s) in writing against whom the grievance is brought within 10 school days after the events leading to the grievance. If the grievance is not resolved at this point, the student proceeds to step #2.
- The student shall inform the immediate supervisor of the person(s) in step #1 in writing of the grievance within 5 school days of the completion of step #1 (including all information pertinent to the grievance). The immediate supervisor of the person(s) against whom the grievance is brought will attempt to resolve the grievance. If the grievance is not resolved at this point, the student proceeds to step #3.
- The student shall inform the President of the College in writing of the grievance within 5 school days of completion of Step #2. A grievance committee of three members will be selected as follows:
a. The individual against whom the grievance has been brought will select one individual from one of the following groups: administrator, faculty, student, staff.
b. The individual bringing the grievance will select one individual from one of the following groups: administrator faculty, student, staff.
c. The individual against whom the grievance has been brought and the individual bringing the grievance will agree upon one individual from one of the following groups: administrator faculty, student, staff.
- The President will officially notify the three committee members of their appointment and provide general directions for their function. The grievance committee will have access to all information in writing submitted in the previous steps. The grievance committee will make a recommendation to the President of the College within 10 school days of the formation of the committee. The President of the College will inform the student within 5 school days of the submission of the recommendation from the grievance committee as to the disposition of the grievance.
- The student must work through the internal grievance processes listed above for complaint resolution. If a student believes that concerns were not adequately addressed, a complaint may be filed with the following within 10 school days of the notification from the President of the College:
Coffeyville Community College – Board of Trustees
400 W. 11th
Coffeyville, KS 67337
The written complaint should include the following information:
- Name, current mailing address, phone number of the complainant
- Email address
- Dates of your enrollment
- Details of your complaint
- Expected outcome
The Board will reply to you within 10 school days to let you know that they have received your complaint and whether it requires any additional information. The Board will let you know there tentative plan for investigating and resolving the complaint, and will update you if it takes longer than originally planned. The Board will send you a written response, usually within 45 school days of receipt of your complaint, explaining the investigation and the resolution.
In addition to the Board, listed below are other agencies that may be contacted:
- Consumer protection and/or fraud complaints may be filed with the Kansas Attorney General's office.
- Discrimination complaints may be filed with the Kansas Human Rights Commission.
- Complaints regarding State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) courses delivered by SARA ember community colleges may be filed by students enrolled in those courses with the Kansas Board of Regents office.
- Kansas Community Colleges are regionally accredited by the North Central Association of the Higher Learning Commission on Colleges and Universities (NCAHLC). Complaints regarding an institution's ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation may be filed by following the guidelines at https://www.hlcommission.org/HLC-Institutions/complaints.html.