How to Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- Go to www.fafsa.gov
- Click on Start a New FAFSA or click Login if a returning user.
- Sign in using the Student’s personal information
- Use the Student’s Pin number and create a password
- Choose- Making corrections to a processed FAFSA
- Go to the Financial Information tab
- Answer whether you or your parent(s) completed an IRS Income Tax Return
- Choose your or your parent(s) filing status
- Click View Option to Link to the IRS
- Then click on the Link to IRS
- Follow the directions from this point forward.
If you are a dependent student, your parent will need to sign the correction.
If you are unable to do the IRS Data Retrieval, order a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.
How do I order a tax transcript?
There are two methods of ordering a tax transcript
1. The IRS website www.irs.gov, or
2. By calling the IRS, 1-800-908-9946
Instructions for ordering a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS website:
On the home page of the IRS website (www.irs.gov)
Under the orange bar labeled TOOLS
Click on the top choice – Order a Return or Account Transcript
Under Step 3 (Get Your Transcript)
Click – Order a Transcript, Fill in the information for the primary tax filer and click on Continue and under the Type of Transcript -choose Return Transcript
Select the correct tax year the Financial Office is requiring
Instructions for ordering a Tax Return Transcript by phone:
IRS is open from 7:00 AM to 7:00PM (local time)
There is a language option for English (1) or Spanish (2)
When prompted to enter the primary tax filer’s social security number and follow the prompts
When prompted to enter the address numbers (ex: if your address is 123 1st St., only enter 123)
When prompted to enter the type of transcript to be ordered
Choose #2 for the Tax Return Transcript
When prompted to choose the year, enter the year of taxes the Financial Aid Office is requiring
The Tax Return Transcript will be mailed in 5 to 10 Days